Chris Taylor - Platoon
Audio quotes and clipsClick or tap on the heads below for sound
- It didn't make much sense. I wasn't learning anything. I figured why should just the poor kids go off to war and the rich kids always get away with it?
- It's the way the whole thing works. People like Elias get wasted. People like Barnes just go on making up the rules any way they want. So what do we do? Sit in the middle and suck on it. We just don't add up to dry shit, King.
- Proof's in the eyes, man. When you know, you know. You were there, Rhah, and I know what you were thinking. I say we frag that fucker tonight.
- Somebody once wrote, "Hell is the impossibility of reason" That's what this place feels like. Hell. I hate it already and it's only been a week. Some God damned week Grandma. The hardest thing I think I've ever done is go on point; three times this week. I don't even know what I'm doing. A gook could be standing three feet in front of me and I wouldn't know it. I'm so tired. We get up at 5 a.m., hump all day, camp around 4 or 5, dig a foxhole, eat, and put out an all-night ambush or a three-man listening post in the jungle. It's scary because nobody tells me how to do anything because I'm new, and nobody cares about the new guys. They don't even wanna know your name. The unwritten rule is a new guy's life isn't worth as much because he hasn't put his time in yet. And they say, if you're gonna get killed in the Nam, it's better to get it in the first few weeks. The logic being you don't suffer that much. I don't think I can keep this up for a year Grandma. I think I've made a big mistake coming here.
- They got Elias!
- Yeah, it feels good. I got no pain in my neck now.